Dear
Family,
My companion and I
realized some pretty cool things this week. Our area hasn't had missionaries
serve up here in over 15 years. Then before that, only for about 10 years. There
used to be a branch, but that didn't last long. So before all of that, there was nothing.
Nothing, until you go further back in time when Joseph Smith was the prophet.
My companion and I are talking to the posterity of the people that Joseph Smith
testified to back in the 1800's. These people have no idea about the church!
They haven't been taught or even seen missionaries walk around their towns
until now! We thought that was pretty cool.
We also are literally
living the scriptures right now as well. There is a story about Ammon in the
Book of Mormon. He travels into the land where the Lamanites live. He
simply walks up to their king and desires to serve him. In return, the king
offers him a responsibility to watch his flock of sheep. At the same time, he
is able to show the Lamanites the power and authority of God which he holds and
protects them. Then he ends up teaching and baptizing their king. Okay, back to
the land of Manchester. We have learned from the scriptures, that the best way
to earn one's trust and respect is to serve them. So we have been walking around
and try to offer service to those we meet. The part that is really cool is
how we walked up to the home of the town's local church priest and offered to
give service for him and also to know how to help the community around
us. It was awesome how we were able to become his friend and show that we
weren't there to bash anything he taught, or shove our beliefs on him, but to
desire to serve. Just as Christ did.
I had my first exchange
this week with Sister Maxwell. I was totally nervous about it because I don't
know the area hardly at all. Quote of the day.. Me: "I don't know Jack
about this area" Sister Yancey: "It's okay. Good thing I'm
Jill"... Get it? Her first name is Jill... I just about died laughing. Any
who... I was lost for most of the day and couldn't figure out the GPS for a
while and couldn't remember the address of some people. But we ended up having a
really spiritual experience. The Lord directed us where we needed to go, and we
ended up finding 2 new investigators.
When we exchanged back,
Sister Yancey and I drove down to Utica with our Zone Leaders for Mission
Leadership Council. Once every month, all of the Sister Training Leaders and all of the Zone Leaders travel down
there and we discuss the needs of the mission. It was super fun and I was so
glad that I got to participate in that. My first and only MLC... Good thing it
was great! I get to travel down to Utica AGAIN tonight because I get to go to
the temple TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am
so excited :D I will get to walk through the Sacred Grove, see the old houses
that the early saints lived in and see the printing press where the Book of
Mormon was first published. Other things too, but I can't remember all of them.
I can't believe it is finally time for this awesome trip! Yay!!
I hope you all know that
the church is true! I do!!!
Love you all! Love,
Sister Keller
No comments:
Post a Comment